Sunday, May 1, 2011

Apple Crisp

What started out as a lovely day has turned into one that is dreary, cloudy, cold and damp. 

Since I'm stuck inside, I decided I should use the time to clean out the fridge.  I found an abundance of apples taking up a lot of space in the veggie drawer.  What to do with all these apples? Pie, applesauce, apple cake, or wait, I know, Apple Crisp

If you are like me, you detest peeling apples.  In my younger years, I remember peeling apples and trying to peel the entire apple in one long strip of peel.  I came so close so many times, but usually managed to cut the peel too narrow and it would break.  Even today when I use a paring knife for peeling, I still find myself trying to win at this game!

About a year or so ago, I found this Apple Peeling Machine at the local Tuesday Morning's for a discounted $4.99.  I'm here to tell you, it was the best $5 I have spent on a kitchen gadget in a long time and I have a lot of kitchen gadgets!  It makes peeling apples easy fun!  I will never peel apples with a paring knife again.

My recipe card for Apple Crisp has yellowed over the years, the printing has faded and it is smudged from frequent use.  It is a basic recipe, nothing fancy.  I decided to jazz mine up a bit using some dried cranberries and walnuts that I had in my pantry.  I have included the quantities I used and noted the ingredients as optional.   

Heat up the kitchen  and create some comforting warmth and make your whole house smell amazing!

Apple Crisp

Ingredients:

8 cups of sliced baking apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2/3 cup of granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)


Topping:

3/4 cup oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt


Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spray 7 1/2 x 9 1/2 (or similar size) baking dish with non-stick coating.
  3. Mix all items listed in the ingredients list until well coated and fill the baking pan.
  4. Combine the topping ingredients and mix until crumbly.
  5. Spread evenly over the top of the apple mixture.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
Golden from the Oven

No comments:

Post a Comment