Sunday, May 15, 2011

Lemon Poppy Seed Belgian Waffles

Last night I didn't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen and was looking for something that I could make with ingredients I had on hand. 

I decided it would be waffle night!   Seems I tend to gravitate to breakfast when I want a quick and easy supper.  Maybe that's a throwback to my childhood when we had scrambled eggs for supper sometimes, or possibly because if I eat pancakes in the morning they just seem to stay with me all day long!  Regardless of the reason, I love breakfast!

Peppered Smoked Bacon
To accompany the waffles, you need something salty to counter the sweetness of the syrup right?  What could be better at that than thick sliced, peppered, smoked bacon?   I preheated my oven to 425, put the bacon strips on a jelly roll pan, sprinkled them liberally with cracked black pepper (no need to pay extra for that at the grocery) and popped it into the oven to bake for about 10 minutes, turning them and cooked another 5-7 until it was crispy.  Be sure to keep an eye on it so you don't over cook (burn) the bacon.
I prefer this method of cooking bacon because it results in nice flat strips and you don't have a greasy stove top to clean up and risk getting burned with popping hot fat.   Not to mention you can cook nearly an entire package of bacon at one time.  You can keep leftovers in the fridge in a baggie and save yourself some change by not buying the pricey pre-cooked bacon at the supermarket.


To make life a little simpler, I keep Krusteaz Belgian Waffle mix in the pantry.  There is nothing wrong with having a helping hand and this waffle mix produces a wonderful result.

Last night, I did decide to dress it up a bit, adding my own special touches.   I used the quantities listed on the package for 2-3 waffles.  Keeping the waffles warm in the oven so they didn't lose their crispiness.  If you are making a larger quantity, you will need to adjust the amount of lemon juice, lemon peel and poppy seeds.



Lemon Poppy Seed Waffles

Ingredients:
  
1 1/2 cups Krusteaz Belgian Waffle mix
1 egg
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup water less 2 Tablespoons
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons dried lemon peel

Directions:   

  1. Add all ingredients into mixing bowl and mix until well blended.  If you have a bowl with a pouring spout, put it to use here.  It will make getting the batter into the waffle maker super easy.
  2. Preheat and spray your belgian waffle maker with non-stick spray.
  3. Cook the waffles according to the directions.  
  4. Place the cooked waffles directly onto the oven rack in a 250 degree F oven to keep them crisp.

To serve top with your favorite toppings.  I finished mine with warm blueberry lemon compote and some whipped cream.

Yield:  3 waffles


I served the waffles topped with Blueberry Lemon Compote and a dollop of whipped cream and a few fresh blueberries.  A side of thick sliced smoked peppered bacon completed the plate.  


1 comment:

  1. Nice Post, Thanks for the sharing such a useful post. It is very informative.
    sugar free chocolate

    ReplyDelete