Sunday, May 15, 2011

Personal Omelets

Everyone knows that breakfast is a meal you shouldn't skip. I've never been much of a breakfast eater, unless I'm on vacation and eating breakfast out. Anyway, when I was a kid, I remember mom making me drink a glass of milk before leaving for school. I guess she figured milk is good for you and if I would at least drink a glass of milk, it was better than nothing.

I've carried my bad breakfast habits on into adulthood because I leave for work really early. I'm up at 4:30 and out the door in about an hour and fifteen minutes.  Sometimes less than that if I opt to hit the snooze button multiple times, which I do frequently.

In effort to be more healthy and eat a decent breakfast, I've started packing breakfast along with my lunch and eating it when I get to work. These personal omelets are one of the things I do on the weekends to make a healthy breakfast more achievable.

You can be as creative with these as you want to suit your dietary needs or taste preferences.

If you have left over cooked veggies, you can add a few. Same with the meats, you can use ham, turkey, sausage, etc. If you are watching your cholesterol you can use Egg Beaters or store brand substitute and if not, real eggs work great too. Feel free to switch up the spices as well, if you like things spicy, add some cayenne, or a smidge of chili powder. I often do not put the seasonings in with the eggs, but rater season each omelet individually so I can vary the tastes all week. I also prefer to use Egg Beaters because it is easier to pour out of the carton as you need it; not to mention dietary guidelines don't recommend eating a dozen eggs every week!

Personal Omelet
Yield: 12

Ingredients:

1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 green or red bell pepper, finely diced
1 6 oz. package boiled ham
3 oz. fat free cheddar cheese
12 eggs
1 teaspoon Spike Seasoning (Use Mrs. Dash if you can't find Spike or salt and pepper )



Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  1. Spray muffin pan with non-stick spay.
  2. To each muffin tin, add 1 teaspoon of chopped onion, 1 teaspoon diced bell pepper and 1 1/2 teaspoons of diced ham. Evenly divde any extra ingredients among the twelve muffins.
  3. Top each of the 12 omelets with 1 teaspoon fat free cheddar cheese.
  4. Beat the eggs with the Spike Seasoning.
  5. Pour the beaten egg mixture over the ingredients in the muffin cups, filling the muffin cups 3/4 full.
  6. Using a fork and gently stir each omelet, to mix ingredients.
  7. Place the muffin pan into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
  8. The omelets will be lightly browned.
  9. Remove from the oven at the conclusion of baking, let the omelets cool.

You can see by this photo what happens when you over fill the muffin cups. 

When the omelets have cooled, I put two in a Ziploc sandwich bag and put them in the refrigerator so they are ready to grab-n-go.  They reheat easily in the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes on high for a quick healthy breakfast with my coffee at my desk.

For variation,try serving with salsa and a dollop of sour cream on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment