Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bok Choy Salad

Bok Choy is one of those vegetables that I see in the supermarket, it's beautiful with it's deep green leaves and pristine white stalks.  I admire it and typically move on because other than stir fry, I don't know what to do with it.

This past week, I went out on a limb and bought a bunch with the intention of challenging myself to get outside my comfort zone and prepare a vegetable that was new to me.  While I do occasionally prepare stir-fry, I prefer to do my oriental dining in a restaurant.  I've gotta have some reason to eat out! 

Anyway, I found a recipe for a salad that I want to share with you that is easy and healthy using Bok Choy.  It is a great vegetable and totally useable, stalks to greens, so there is little waste and you get the advantage of all the healthy benefits!

Based on my experience, I'd suggest breaking off a chunk of the ramen noodles and tasting them first.  If they have been around a while, they develop a strong smell and taste and will ruin your salad.  So check them first and dump them and get some fresher ones if they smell or taste strong!

Bok Choy Salad

Ingredients:

1 medium head of Bok Choy, diced
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
1 3-oz. package of ramen noodles
1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
Blackberry Balsamic Dressing (recipe below)

Directions:

  1. Wash and dice the Bok Choy.  I used the whole stalk, green leafy tops too.
  2. Clean and chop the green onions.
  3. Combine the Bok Choy and onions in a mixing bowl.  Cover and chill.
  4. In a small skillet toast the sesame seeds and set aside in a small bowl.
  5. Using the same skillet, toast the almonds and combine with sesame seeds.
  6. Break the package of ramen noodles into small pieces and combined with almonds and sesame seeds, stirring to mix.
  7. Before serving, combine the Bok Choy mixture with the noodle mixture.  
  8. Drizzle with just enough dressing to coat.  Toss to coat and serve.
    Raw Sesame Seeds
    Toasted Sesame Seeds
I keep ingredients separate since it takes me a few days to go through this much salad, and I used 1 tablespoon of dressing to 2 cups of the Bok Choy/Onions and 1/3 cup noodle mixture and assemble it as I need it for meals.

Note:  If the dressing isn't to your liking, take a look at the SaladDressing on my blog at http://whatscookingatcathys.blogspot.com/2011/06/salad-dressing.html, I think it would be great too, or choose a dressing that you like.  Whichever you choose, I don't think you will be disappointed.


I have a bottle of Blackberry Balsamic Vinegar from The Olive Tree, a local store owned by Mindy and David Riley.  It's located at 4949 W. 199th, Overland Park, KS.  Stop in and check them out if you are in the area!  If you are not in the area, you can check out their products and order online at http://olivetreekc.com.  They are a great source for olive oils and vinegars.

Blackberry Balsamic Dressing

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup Blackberry Balsamic Vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon dried mint
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients except oil, mixing well.  Drizzle in the oil whisking constantly to emulsify.
  2. Refrigerate for at least one hour to allow ingredients to blend.  It will look like chocolate syrup.  Drizzle over salad, toss and serve.

And of course a photo of Maggie performing a "quality inspection"!









No comments:

Post a Comment