Sunday, June 12, 2011

Taco Casserole


Taco Casserole is easy and yummy.  Someone gave me this recipe, and I have adapted it to my liking.  I was craving this yesterday but didn't have all the ingredients I needed.  The recipe does make quite a bit, so if you are like me and don't need a 9x13 pan, you can always cut the recipe in half and make it in a 9x9.   

I altered this from the original recipe to make it a little bit lighter on calories and fat.  I used 95% lean ground beef and ground turkey rather than the original 2 pounds of hamburger.  I also substitute fat free sour cream and low fat cheese and it tastes just fine.  

Taco Casserole

Ingredients:

2 package Crescent Rolls
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lb. ground turkey
2 packages taco seasoning 
1 16 oz. bottle of either taco sauce or salsa
16 oz. sour cream
4 cups shredded taco cheese
1 13 oz. bag of Tostitos

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.


In a large non-stick skillet, brown the ground beef and ground turkey. 
Drain it and add to the seasoning and taco sauce or salsa.  Stir thoroughly.
Simmer for 15 minutes. You want the meat to be coated and relatively dry.



Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non stick cooking spray.  Line the pan with the crescent rolls.  Be sure to press the seams together.
I had two triangles left over, so I popped them in the oven while I was assembling the casserole.
Top with the meat mixture.

Spread on the sour cream.
Top with the cheese.






Crush the Tostitos in the bag and sprinkle on top of the cheese.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes.



Serve with a tosssed salad and you have a meal and it is hard to not go back for seconds!

1 comment:

  1. This taco casserole is easy to prepare and is really good!!

    ReplyDelete