Sunday, July 10, 2011

Creamy Lime Freezer Pops

Recently, I was craving popsicles...maybe I was regressing back to childhood days or maybe it was because a friend and I had talked about freezer pops.  Rather than buy something full of preservatives, I made freezer pops, otherwise known as popsicles. As a kid our homemade popsicles growing up were made with Kool-Aid. The kind with real sugar.  I remember my favorite was  Rootbeer.  

Today's recipe is more of a grown up freezer pop and would be a unique dessert for a BBQ.  I adore key lime pie and that is exactly what the unfrozen mixture tastes like.  I was really anxious for these to freeze I could try one.  When I finally did try one, I was blown away by how good they were.  I wanted seconds immediately!  I will be making these over and over again this summer. 

Ingredients

I lightened this up on calories (a little) by using fat free sweetened condensed milk and substituted 1/4 cup fat free yogurt and 3/4 cup 1% milk for the half-and-half.    The unfrozen version was decadent.

Be sure to thoroughly wash the limes before you zest them and have them at room temperature so you get the best juice yield.  You can always use the trick of rolling them on the countertop to help boost the juice yield. 


Creamy Lime Freezer Pops

Lime Zest
 Makes 8-10 pops

Ingredients:

1 14-ounce can of fat free sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup fat free plain yogurt
3/4 cup skim or 1% milk
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 4 large limes)
Zest of two limes
pinch of salt

Mixed and Ready to Freeze
Directions:

Put all of the ingredients into the blender and mix thoroughly.  Divide the mixture among the molds and snap on the lids.  Freeze until solid, about 5 hours or so.  Unmold and enjoy!



Alternate serving suggestion:
If you don't have molds and you could pour this into your ice cream freezer and freeze it according to the directions. Top with a sprinkling of crushed cinnamon graham crackers and a dollop of whipped cream.  

No comments:

Post a Comment