I did not specify the color of the peppers. I will leave that choice up to you. I personally prefer the red, yellow or orange to the green, but any color will do. You will see from the photos that I used mostly red but did have a green one thrown in for variation.
1 Tablespoon Garlic Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium Onion, chopped
1.25 lbs. lean ground Turkey
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon medium Chili Powder
1 cup shredded Carrot
1 box of frozen shoe peg corn (or 2 ears of fresh cut corn)
1/4 cup Taco Sauce (your favorite)
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash and cut bell peppers in half, top to bottom so you have 2 halves to fill later.
- Remove the seeds and membranes and rinse to remove all the seeds.
- Heat a heavy oven proof skillet over medium heat. Drizzle in the garlic infused extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the onions, ground turkey, salt, cumin and chili powder and stir, cooking until turkey is done. Continue to cook until all liquid (water) has evaporated.
- Chop one of the 5 bell peppers and add it to the turkey along with the carrots, corn and taco sauce.
- Mix over medium heat just to warm everything through.
- Remove stuffing mixture to another bowl.
- Spoon stuffing into each bell pepper half and arrange them in the heavy ovenproof skillet or a separate casserole dish, repeating until all of the peppers are full.
- Put an extra teaspoon of taco sauce on the top of each pepper (my sauce has a squirt top, so I just squirt some on).
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.