Sunday, January 22, 2012

Baked Apple Snacks

Making Baked Apple Snacks is an ideal project for a chilly winter day!  I'm anxious to put these snacks into a pretty bowl for after dinner munchies that will satisfy my sweet tooth and be light on calories!

As part of my healthier eating efforts, I eat apples a lot to satisfy my cravings for sugar.  I love this time of year when the apples are beautiful and crisp.  My favorites are Pink Lady, which I used for this recipe, a new variety that I discovered this year which is Jazz, and a couple of other favorites are Honeycrisp and Fuji.  I'll be experimenting with this recipe with the different varieties to find the one that I like best.

Yesterday I bought a new "toy".  Close friends tell me I'm the queen of kitchen gadgets.  And, uhm...well, maybe this confirms it.  I purchased a Mandoline.  I believe that having the right tool for the job is very important and in this case it was indispensible in saving me time and achieving the very extremely thin apple slices called for in this recipe.   The apple slices need to be very thin so they crisp up easily.  
An apple corer is also a tool that you'll need to have handy to make these.

Baked Apple Snacks
Servings:  2

Ingredients:
2 Apples, sliced to an 1/8th inch thickness
Stevia
Cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 235 degrees F.
Wash and dry the apples.
Slice each apple into slices 1/8th inch thick.
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Place the apple slices on the parchment.  Sprinkle the apple slices with Stevia and Cinnamon to your taste.
Place the cookie sheets into the oven for 60 minutes.
After 60 minutes, remove the sheets from the oven and flip the apple slices.
Sprinkle them with Stevia and Cinnamon.
Return the cookie sheets to the oven and bake an additional 60 minutes.
Remove from the oven, cool on the cookie sheets and store them in an airtight container.












...an apple a day...in a whole new way!



 ....and that's What's Cooking At Cathy's ~ Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment