Monday, January 2, 2012

Balsamic Chicken Wraps

Like much of the population, I have made a goal for myself in the new year to lose some weight and eat healthier.  I have established my benchmark and goal and have enlisted a friend to keep me on track.  I am determined!
As a result, the blog will include recipes that I am making to help me on the way to becoming thinner and healthier.

To start the saga, I purchased some chicken breasts on sale at the local market.  They were a deal because they had skin on and ribs. 
I first set up my Kitchen-Aid and attached the meat grinder.  This machine is a beast and I love using it.  If you don't have one or don't have any desire to grind your own meat, you can purchase pre ground chicken at the market.  

 A good sharp knife and about 10 minutes and my chicken looked like I had purchased it skinless and boneless.

I carved each breast into strips that would easily go into the grinder and what resulted was lovely lean freshly ground chicken.



Balsamic Chicken Wraps

Ingredients:

30 ounces ground, skinnless, boneless chicken breast (4 large)
2 cups red cabbage leaves, finely chopped
14 green cabbage leaves
3 teaspoons roasted minced garlic
6 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions:

Grind or finely chop the chicken.  Mix together the chicken and garlic, vinegar, onion powder, grated ginger, salt and pepper.
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken thoroughly.  With the balsamic, it is moist enough you will not need additional oil.

Finely chop the cabbage.  Red cabbage will provide interest and color, but I opted to use green since that is what I had on hand. 

Add the finely chopped red cabbage  (I used more green rather than buy red) and saute until the cabbage is tender.
Clean the green cabbage leaves and remove the core end by cutting a "v" at the base.
Microwave the green cabbage leaves in small batches for 10-15 seconds to soften them.

Place 1/3 cup chicken mixture on one cabbage leave and roll into a wrap.
Repeat untl all filling is used.

Wraps can be reheated in the microwave for 1 minute on high.

I ended up with the nearly white interior leaves and opted to use three of them to make "cups" to hold the meat mixture and promptly ate them up for lunch!


   ....and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment