Sunday, February 5, 2012

Orange Sorbet


The warm 60 degree days we have been having lately sure have had me yearning for a cool and creamy treat.  Since I went crazy a few weeks ago when the local market had a great price on oranges, I decided to put them to good use and make a sorbet.    
                  
Yesterday was the day to put the squeez on the oranges! 

I pulled out my wooden reamer, my sharp knife and proceeded to juice a large quantity of oranges.  I had a few blood oranges in the fridge that I used to give the sorbet a beautiful color. 


I've also read several sorbet recipes that suggested incorporating egg whites to help improve the texture for any left over that you may store in the freezer.  My experience is that it gets icy and rock hard so you have to plan ahead and thaw it before serving.  Now I've read all the things that indicate you shouldn't eat raw eggs, but I decided to throw caution to the wind and give this a try.

You will notice Stevia in the Raw listed in the ingredients, I've listed alternate instructions for using sugar in the directions, but I've been reducing the refined sugar I eat and trying substitutions in things where it is easy, such as this sorbet.  

If you are feeling the need for a cool and creamy treat that's a treat for the eyes as well as the taste buds, give this a try.


Orange Sorbet

Ingredients:

5 cups of fresh squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup Stevia in the Raw
2 egg whites

Directions:

Thoroughly mix the orange juice and Stevia.  I found 1/4 cup yielded a sweet and tart result.  If you want a sweeter sorbet, add more to taste in small amounts.

If you want to use real sugar, use 1/2 cup of sugar to 1 cup of juice.  I would recommend that you take a couple of cups of juice and heat it to dissolve the sugar so you have a smooth sorbet.

Chill the mixture until good and cold.
Pour Mixture into your ice cream freezer and start the freezing process.
Meanwhile, beat the two egg whites to stiff peak stage.
When the sorbet reaches a slushy stage, fold in the beaten egg whites and finish the freezing process.
The egg whites will help keep it from the leftovers from freezing rock hard in your freezer.

If you are fearful of the raw egg, then you can leave it out.

...and That's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment