Friday, March 2, 2012

Egg Salad

I often enjoy egg salad for lunch at a deli near my office.  Nearly every time I have egg salad at the deli, I ask myself why don't I make this at home.  It is not difficult and I nearly always I have everything I need on hand.  I just never seem to think about it.


Today I was in search of something quick and easy for lunch and decided that egg salad sounded good so I gathered the ingredients and mixed up enough for a sandwich today and had enough left for more later this week. 


First I had to cook the eggs.  Hard boiling eggs is really easy.  Put the eggs into a pan large enough to hold them, but not so large that they bounce around.  Next cover them with cold water and heat them until the water boils.   Remove the pan from the burner and let it sit for 15 minutes.   Drain and rinse the eggs with cold water to stop the cooking.  Peel the eggs and you are ready to make salad.


Removing the pan of eggs from the heat source keeps them from cracking and seeping out of the shells and also prevents the dreadful green ring around the yolk and the whites are tender and not rubbery.




Egg Salad


This will make enough for 3 or 4 sandwiches depending on how much you pile on.


Ingredients:


4 Hard boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup chopped sweet pickle
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash
3 tablespoons Miracle Whip or Mayo
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice




Directions:


  1. Peel and chop the hard boiled eggs.
  2. Chop sweet pickles and mince the onion.
  3. Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
  4. Chill and Serve.




I fixed my sandwich with a toasted  bun,  lettuce, dill pickles and some shredded carrots and a side of fresh apricots. 



...and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment