Saturday, February 2, 2013

Avocado Chocolate Pudding

Unconventional?  Yes!
Easy?  Yes!
Tasty?  Yes!
Good for you?  Yes

I will admit that I don't keep avocado as a staple in my kitchen.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good guacamole as much as the next gal, but it isn't something that I eat often.  As for slicing one up on a salad or adding a few slices to a sandwich, I've never done it.

I found this recipe pinned on Pinterest while looking for low carb treats.  It is all over the place with various variations so I'm not clear who deserves the credit for this decadent creation but my hat is off to them!
I have to admit that I was intrigued and skeptical on how you could successfully make a tasty chocolate pudding from avocados.  So my next trip to the grocery, I bought 3.  Yep, I was hopeful!

Did I like it you ask?  Absolutely!  It provides me with a sweet treat during the week that I don't feel guilty about eating since avocados are nutrient dense.  A single avocado will make 2 servings so do keep portions in mind when you make this.  I've found that a single serving is plenty as it is a rich and creamy indulgence at the end of the day.

...now avocados are a staple at my house!




Avocado Chocolate Pudding


Ingredients:


1 ripe avocado (it must be ripe or it will not result in a smooth pudding)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup agave (I use Whey Low)
1/4 cup unsweetened Almond Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla

Directions:


Put all ingredients into a small food processor fitted with the metal blade.  I have a Sunbeam Oscar.  Anybody remember those?


A blender will also work.  I used one on my initial try.  I was disappointed with the resulting  unmixed avocado in the bottom (which often happens with mixing things in the blender), so I prefer the small food processor for a fully mixed creamy mixture.

Blend all the ingredients until smooth.  Doesn't this look divine?!?



You can use alternative sweeteners, just add them, mix, taste and adjust to your palate.

Yield:  2 servings.

This results in a very dense chocolate flavor.  I usually whip up a little sweetened cream for the top to help smooth out the flavor.


...and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment