Sunday, June 2, 2013

Rhubarb Blueberry Skillet Pie



This recipe came along as a whim because I have a flourishing rhubarb plant in my landscaping around my back patio and a couple of pints of blueberries in the fridge.

Fresh rhubarb is one of my favorite parts of spring.  I always anxiously await those first stalks breaking through the ground.    I like strawberry rhubarb, so I thought why not try mixing it with the blueberries and see what happens.


I'm a huge pie fan.  Given a choice, I'll pick pie over cake any time.  I have to admit I was blown away by this combination as was by boyfriend.  He's pretty used to my cooking and baking, and will often comment that something is good.  However, last night when he had his first bite of this pie, he exclaimed "Wow, this is good!".  So there's your endorsement!  Grab your iron skillet, harvest some rhubarb from your garden, farmer's market or local grocery, and make yourself a skillet pie!















Rhubarb Blueberry Skillet Pie



Ingredients:


5 1/2 cups rhubarb cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
5 Tablespoons flour
pinch of salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons Butter

Recipe of Sweet Buttery Pie Crust


Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

In a large bowl combine rhubarb, blueberries, sugar, cinnamon and flour and mix to coat the fruit.
Set aside.

In another bowl mix together the pie crust.
Roll out the entire ball of pie crust.  Once rolled out, lay the crust into a cast iron skillet, letting the excess hang over the edges.


Add the filling and dot with little pieces of butter.


Gently fold the excess dough over the top of the filling, sprinkle with sugar.


Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.



....and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment