Sunday, October 20, 2013

Persimmon Pudding


This recipe is from Grandma Burkhart's collection or recipes. In the collection, there were several persimmon pudding recipes but this one was marked as the "best".  The only notable change to the recipe she had made was to increase the amount of butter. I used her revised version that contains more butter.  Butter makes everything better, right?

As I mixed this recipe, I used an old family crockery bowl and grandma's metal 1 cup measuring cup.  I used grandma's kitchen timer to track my baking time.
Today's foray in the kitchen was nostalgic.  I had a humorous moment during the preparation. While I was sifting the dry ingredients, my battery powered sifter stopped.  I giggled thinking that my grandmother, born in 1900, would have never imagined that there would be such a thing as a battery powered flour sifter!  And you know what, her old hand crank model always worked and didn't require batteries.

Hopefully, you live where you can find persimmons to collect and make your own pulp, or can purchase the pulp at a local market.  I scored pulp on my last trip back to Indiana and was pretty excited because I've been craving Persimmon Pudding since last fall and there doesn't seem to be persimmons here in Kansas, or at least not that I've seen or heard about!

This recipe is quick and easy to mix up and delicious.  For me it is extra special as it is sweetened not only with sugar, but with memories of my grandmother.

Grandma's Recipe


























Persimmon Pudding



Ingredients:


1 1/2 cups persimmon pulp
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
3/4 stick of butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:


Persimmon Pulp
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Place the 3/4 stick of butter into a loaf pan and put it into the oven until the butter melts.

Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, add the persimmon pulp and beat in the two eggs.

Sift in Dry Ingredients
Add the 1 cup sugar, mixing well followed by the 1 cup milk.

Add the melted butter, leaving a generous amount in the pan.  Mix thoroughly.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices.
Add the sifted mixture to the persimmon mixture and mix well. The batter should be similar to cake batter in consistency.


Pour the mixture into the buttered loaf pan and make in the moderate 325 degree oven for 45 minutes or until firm.
Grandma's Kitchen Timer

The recipe says to serve it with cow's cream, which I did.  You can whip the cream if you prefer, but it is good with the cream simply splashed over the top.

Warm from the Oven with Cream

Grandma's Sterling & Lunch Cloth


......Memories are What's Cooking at Cathy's  ~ Enjoy!











2 comments: