Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Baked Turkey Salad



It has been a while since I've posted an entry.  You see, I've been undergoing a cabinet refinishing project and unfortunately, I've neglected the blog as a result.  I'm really pleased with the results and I feel a great sense of accomplishment since I did all the work myself.  Not to mention I have a brand spanking new kitchen! 

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.  Would I be wrong if I presumed that there are many of you, just like me, who have a lot of turkey leftovers and are wondering what you might do with them to add a little variety rather than nuking the remaining slices?   

Many years ago  a friend of mine gave me this recipe and it is always my "go-to" recipe for post holiday turkey leftovers and if you'll excuse the pun, this salad is delish and always gobbled up!
If you are among my low-carbing friends, this is also a good low carb recipe with only 7 net carbs per serving!

So you aren't a Turkey fan?  Chicken can easily be substituted for the turkey.




Baked Turkey Salad


Servings:  6

Ingredients:


4 cups of diced, cooked turkey
2 cups diced celery
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
2 T. chopped pimento
1/2 tsp. salt
1 small chopped onion
1/2 cup mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
2 T. lemon juice
1 can cream of chicken soup
2/3 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup slivered almonds

Directions:


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a  2 quart shallow casserole dish.
In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients, setting aside 1/3 cup shredded cheese.
Pour mixture into the casserole, top with remaining 1/3 cup cheese.
Bake 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.


Note that while the recipe calls for slivered almonds, I didn't have any and didn't want to make a special trip to the store, so I just rough chopped whole raw almonds that I had on hand.
This recipe is one that you can adjust the ingredients pretty easily based on what you like and what you have on hand.

Serve with a nice garden salad or green veggie on the side and you have a quick and easy dinner.


....and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment