Sunday, December 15, 2013

Lemon Rosemary Butter Cookies

I love lemon and I love rosemary so when a FB friend of mine told me he was making shortbread cookies with those two ingredients, I couldn't wait to get my hands on the recipe.

Well, true to my style, I just can't leave well enough alone and I've made several adjustments to his recipe as I was making it.  Sorry Craig, I just couldn't help myself!

You can find his recipe here if you are interested in seeing or making the original.  Following is my adaption of his recipe.  









Lemon Rosemary Butter Cookies


Ingredients:


2 cups almond flour
1/3 cup erythritol or granulated Splenda or sweetener of your choice
2 tsp. fresh rosemary (if you have to use dried, that's okay)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. powdered lemon peel
6 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 Tbsp. freshly grated lemon zest
2 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp. almond extract

Directions:


In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flower and sweetener.  Mix thoroughly to combine and to fluff up the almond flour.
Add in the rosemary, baking soda and powdered lemon peel and mix until well blended and the rosemary is evenly distributed.

In a separate bowl or large Pyrex measuring cup, melt the butter in the microwave.
Add to the melted butter, the freshly grated lemon zest, lemon juice and almond extract.  Whisk together to combine thoroughly.


While stirring the flour mixture, gradually add in the melted butter mixture.  The mixture will come together to form a wet crumbly dough.

Tear off  a sheet of parchment or waxed paper about 18 inches long and form the dough into a log along the long edge of the paper.  Wrapping the edge nearest you around the log, continue to roll and twist the ends.  Place the roll in the freezer for 30 minutes or longer so the butter has a chance to solidify and you can slice the roll into rounds for the cookies.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silpat mat to prevent cookies from sticking and to make cleanup easier.

With a super sharp knife, slice the log of cookie dough into 1/4 inch slices.  Place the rounds on the baking sheets.


Bake in the preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.  Move to a cooling wrack to cool so the bottoms of the cookies get air and don't get soggy.


I put a glaze on mine in effort to make them more lemony.  I mixed 4 Tbsp. powdered Swerve with 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice.  I brushed it on the cookies with a pastry brush.
Yield:  36 cookies

...and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment