Saturday, December 28, 2013

Low Carb Cranberry Bliss Bars



































I follow several blogs and this recipe is directly from one of those, All Day I Dream About Food.  I love the flavor combination of cranberry and orange.  It sounded amazing and I just had to try it.  I will admit that I have never had the original Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars, which I'm  sure is terrific after tying this recipe. I'm also sure it is loaded with sugar and carbs.  Whatever the reason, if it is merely to eat a little healthier during or after the holidays, give this recipe a try because it is awesome.  The flavor of cranberry and orange are sublime and who doesn't like cream cheese frosting?


I altered the recipe just a bit because I didn't have time to make her sugarless dried cranberries.  I used Crasins in a lesser quantity to help keep the carbs down.  I also substituted in orange extract since I didn't have any oranges on hand for fresh zest.  Even with my alterations these bars turned out amazing and I would encourage you to whip up a pan soon!  While the post is a little late for your Christmas cookie tray, these would be a lovely addition, so bookmark it for next year!






Low Carb Cranberry Bliss Bars


Ingredients:


Bars:


1 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup granulated erythritol
1 tsp. vanilla
20 drops stevia extract
2 cups almond flour
1 tsp. ground ginger
4 eggs
1/2 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
1/2 cup chopped english walnuts

Frosting:


4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/3 cup whipping cream
2 Tbsp. powdered erythritol
10 drops stevia extract
1 tsp orange extract (or grated orange zest)

1/4 cup Craisins, finely chopped

Directions:

Bars:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan.  Line the pan and sides with parchment paper and grease the parchment.
In a large bowl, mix the melted butter with the erythritol, vanilla and stevia extract.
Stir in the almond flour and ground ginger, mixing thoroughly to incorporate all the ingredients.
Add the four eggs and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
Stir in the chopped fresh cranberries and walnuts.
Pour the batter into the baking pan, spreading it evenly.
Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and firm to the touch.
Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack.
Frost when completely cool.

Frosting:

In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until they are evenly incorporated.  Add the cream and continue beating until the mixture is smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl and beaters as needed.  Beat in the erythritol and orange extract until thoroughly mixed.
Spread the icing over the cooled bars and sprinkle the top with the 1/4 cup finely chopped Craisins.
Chill in the refrigerator until icing is firm.
Cut into 25 squares and serve.

....and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment