Friday, April 29, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Spring has arrived and with it a bumper crop of rhubarb.  I have two hills and that looks like it will be enough to keep me in rhubarb this spring as well as the fall and winter if I tuck some away in the freezer.

To get started I harvested a few stalks in hopes of gathering just the right amount, no more, no less, than I needed for the pie.  This time I was lucky and had just the right amount to make about 4 cups, just enough for my recipe.  I then washed and hulled the strawberries and made the pie crust.


My recipe is adapted for a deep dish 10" pie plate.  


Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Ingredients:

4 cups sliced strawberries
4 cups sliced rhubarb
1 3/4 cups white sugar
1/3 cup instant tapioca
1 squeeze fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1 recipe pastry for a 10" double crust pie

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).  Place your pie plate onto a foil lined baking sheet.
  2. Mix the strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, tapioca and lemon juice in a bowl and let stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Line your 10" pie plate with crust; pour the filling into the bottom crust.  Dot with the small pieces of butter.  Cover the filling with the top crust.  Crimp edges together and cut slits into the top.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.




Top with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment