|Carrot Cake Cookies|
When I knew I'd be going home over the July 4th holiday and attending a friends annual holiday cookout, I thought it would be a good opportunity to try this recipe out. Because of the heat and the cream cheese frosting, I almost didn't take them because I didn't think they would hold up well in the heat, so I put them in tupperware and stuck them in the fridge and made some different cookies that wouldn't wilt in the heat and humidity.
When I was packing up to leave, I decided to go ahead and take them along. I packed them in an insulated grocery bag (the reuseable kind) and they made the 8 hour trip just fine and I ended up taking them to the cookout after all.
The cookies received a big stamp of approval from the folks attending the cookout.
I hope you enjoy them as much as they did!
Carrot Cake Cookies
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained and the juice reserved
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly grease 4 cookie sheets
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Beat the butter, shortening, white and brown sugar together until smooth.
- Add 1 egg and allow to blend into the butter mixture before adding the second egg and vanilla.
- Mix in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Fold in the crushed pineapple, carrot, raisins and nuts.
- Mix just enough to evenly combine.
- Drop onto the prepared baking sheets by heaping teaspoonful, allowing 2 inches of space between the cookies.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the edges are golden 10-12 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon softened butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon reserved pineapple juice
- Beat the cream cheese and 1 tablespoon of butter with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and pineapple juice.
- Beat until no lumps remain.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cookies and allow to dry completely before storing.