If you are a bacon lover or know someone who is, I guarantee you that these will be a big hit! Providing samples with the ingredients "undisclosed" (because there are those who will be skeptics) result in rave reviews.
I cut these in small squares, probably 1 inch by 1 inch and wrapped them in waxed paper. I think these would be wonderful cut in smaller pieces and added to Cheesecake Ice Cream (appearing later in the blog).
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup butter
1 cup heavy cream, divided
1/4 cup maple syrup
12 strips of crisp cooked bacon, crumbled into pieces
- Thoroughly butter an 8x8 Pyrex dish and set aside.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the heavy cream.
- In a medium saucepan (non-stick of you have one), combine all remaining ingredients except the bacon.
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally until temperature reaches 240 degrees F.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 1/2 cup cream.
- Return the plan to the burner and continue to cook to 245 degrees F.
- Immediately remove from heat and stir in two-thirds of the crumbled bacon. Mix well.
- Pour the caramel into the buttered dish.
- Top with the remaining crumbled bacon.
- Let set for at least 3 hours before cutting. In the heat we've had this summer, I'd also recommend refrigerating these after they have cooled to room temperature.
.....and that is What's Cooking At Cathy's ~ Enjoy!