Sunday, November 13, 2011

Maple Pumpkin Pie

Two weekends ago, I cooked my Halloween pumpkins and froze the puree for later.  Well, today was on of those "later" moments.  I saw a recipe for Maple Pumpkin Pie that I just had to try, with a little twist to make it my own.  If you are looking for something just a little different to grace your holiday table, give this recipe a try.

I must also admit that I had another reason to try this new recipe.  You see, I really wanted to play with my new kitchen "toys" and to do that, I needed to play in pie dough! 

My new "toys" are Pie Crust Cutters.  Santa Wanda magically arranged for these to appear on my doorstep when I was out of town.  Yes, I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but Santa always knows....and in this case, these "toys" are perfect to have to dress up your pies for Thanksgiving.  I love, love, love these little gadgets and now I want to see if they have them for other seasons or holidays! 


Maple Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:

Basic Pie Crust - You will want a two crust recipe for this so you have enough for the shaped cut outs.
2 large eggs
2 cups pumpkin puree (or 1-15 oz. can of pure pumpkin)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup pure maple syrup (not the imitation stuff you put on pancakes)
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

Directions:

Make your favorite two crust recipe.  If you don't have a favorite, you can use the recipe that accompanies my blog entry for apple pie.  Here's the link for easy reference: 
http://whatscookingatcathys.blogspot.com/2011_10_01_archive.html

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, pumpkin puree, and cream.  Mix in the maple syrup, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice.  It will be thick.  Set it aside.

Roll out your pie crust, lay it in the pie plate and crimp the edge.
I use my corning ware pie plate for this pie rather than my deep dish because I want to be sure that the pie sets up properly.  You may notice from the photos that the pumpkin isn't as orange as you'd think it should be.  That is because it is a home cooked pumpkin rather than from a can.  It will look fine once it is baked.

Pour the pumpkin mixture into the crust and place on lowest oven rack.  Bake until the center is set, 60 to 70 minutes.
 











While pie is baking, roll out the remaining pie crust and make the cut outs.
Arrange the shapes on a parchment lined cookie sheet. 
Place in the oven on the top shelf and bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.




When the decorative cut outs are ready, remove them from the oven and sprinkle them with a cinnamon and sugar mixture and let cool. 





When the pie is finished baking, remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool.





Arrange the cutouts attractively on top of the crust.

Serve with a dollop of maple whipped cream along side.    Drizzle the plate with a little maple syrup to add a special touch.

To make the maple whipped cream, stir in a couple of teaspoons of pure maple syrup to freshly whipped cream.









 ...and that my friends, is What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment