Saturday, February 11, 2012

Peanut Butter

Nuts!

After searching the shelves at my local market today, I became really frustrated that I couldn't purchase peanut butter that didn't have added sugar at a reasonable price.

I am going to go on a rant here for a bit, but seriously, why does everything you purchase have sugar in it!  I looked at some salad dressing that said no calories, no fat, no carbs, no sugar....seriously?? I didn't believe it.  The Nutritional Label didn't indicate any of those things, all looked good.  But wait!  Buried in the ingredients list was glucose.  Ah ha, I thought so!  We getting fed sugar in so many things where it isn't necessary and we aren't realizing it.   You have to read the ingredients, you sure can't trust the labeling!  Hum....maybe that explaines why most of us can "pinch more than an inch"!

I decided not to let the situation get the better of me and I would have my peanut butter!  I found the isle with the snacks and purchased a 20 ounce jar of Planters Dry Roasted Nuts.  No particular reason for choosing Planters, other than it was on sale and was less expensive than the store brand.


Once home, I pulled out the Kitchen Aid Food Processor, dumped in the peanuts and mere minutes later, I have a large jar lovely peanut butter in the fridge without any added sugar!

Here's how you to can make your own peanut butter (or other nut butters like almond or cashew).

Fit the food processor with the chopping blade and added the entire jar of nuts.


Next Turn it on and let it run.  You will see the nuts being chopped finely and start to creep up the sides of the bowl.  Stop, take off the top and scrape down the sides. 


Start up the processor again.  After a few minutes you will see clumps begin to form.  Dont worry, that's normal.  It won't be long and the magic will happen.

You will see the small clumps form into a ball.  Don't panic, this is normal, just let the machine chug along some more.


In mere minutes, you will see the ball morph into a smooth and creamy bowl full of peanut butter.


Mine was really thick so I thinned it a little with some butter flavored olive oil (which is really yummy).


I put the finished product in a Ball canning jar and tucked it away in the refrigerator. 



...and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment