Saturday, June 16, 2012

Barbecued Pork Chops

Once again, I'm rummaging in my old recipe file.  Pork chops were on sale this week so I purchased a big package.  I believe it had a dozen or so boneless chops. You will notice that this recipe calls for 8 chops, but I used it with the 10 or 12 chops in the package.  Growing up, we always had chops with bones, but boneless fit into the pan a little easier and you don't have bones to throw away later!

This is comfort food for me.  This is my mom's recipe.  I don't recall where she got it but it is unique.  It is a thin sauce and not the sweet sticky bottled sauce you buy at the store.  It has a couple of unique ingredients that are more commonly found in sauerbrauten recipes.  Anyway, seeing chops on sale triggered a memory and these are now cooking in the oven and the whole house smells amazing!



Barbecued Pork Chops

Ingredients:

8 lean pork chops 
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
2 or 3 bay leaves (I use 3)

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
In a heavy bottomed pot, brown the chops in a little olive oil.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a small mixing bowl until they are thoroughly mixed.
Put all the chops in the pot and pour the liquid mixture over the top.
Bake in the 325 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.
Turn chops over 1/2 way through baking.

We always had this with mashed potatoes and used the sauce like gravy with the potatoes.  I know it sounds strange, but that's okay, it is good!

...and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment