Sunday, March 3, 2013

Gluten Free FireCrackers

I've dubbed these little jewels "fire" crackers because they have jalapeno pepper in them.  I'm among those who like spicy foods.
Also these little gems contain no wheat flour for those of you who are needing to avoid gluten.

I found this recipe via Pinterest, yes it is an addiction, but it inspires me to try new things and helps me pass time on the bus ride to and from work each day. Following is the recipe as posted by The Realistic Nutritionist, inspired by Oh My Veggies with a little modification to the directions by me.
 Let the healthy snacking begin!









Gluten Free FireCrackers


Ingredients:


 1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup flax seed meal
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. grated cheddar cheese, divided
1 to 2 jalapenos, minced (I used 1 1/2)
2 Tbsp. melted butter
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. kosher salt

Directions:


Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, flax seed meal, baking powder, onion powder and salt.
Stir in 1/2 cup cheese and the minced jalapenos.
Add the melted butter and egg and stir until the mixture is well blended and forms a cohesive dough.

Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Dump the dough out of the mixing bowl into the middle of the parchment paper.  Pat it out into a even depth.
Cover with another sheet of parchment and using a rolling pin, roll out the dough so the thickness is equal.
Doing this will prevent the dough from being too thin and will help the crackers bake more evenly.
Don't hesitate to break off parts that want to ooze out and put them where there are gaps and roll to continue evening out the dough.

Remove the second parchment layer and using a sharp knife, score into the desired size of cracker.  I just eyeballed mine, into 2x2-ish.  If you want more precise measurements get a ruler and measure!
Sprinkle the remaining 2 Tbsp of cheese over the dough (I think I used more, I didn't measure, I just made sure there was a little sprinkle of cheese on each cracker).  Top with the kosher salt.

Bake until firm and the edges are brown and crispy, about 45 minutes.  Baking time will vary, depending on how thin you rolled the dough.  Set the timer for a few minutes less and check them frequently. Mine were perfect at 45 minutes.

Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and let the dough cool completely.  Note:  The crackers will not be crisp until they are cooled.
Break into individual crackers and store uncovered on your counter.
Okay you caught me.  There is one cracker missing!  I couldn't wait a minute longer to try them out and they are delish!


....and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment