Saturday, March 15, 2014

Low Carb Rhubarb Custard Crisp



I'm a skeptic.  Yep, it is just my nature.  This recipe was one that caught my eye and I adore Rhubarb and they had a lovely supply at the local Sprouts market that I couldn't resist buying.  I had pinned this recipe that I wanted to try and alter just a bit for carb reduction.  However, the fact that the fruit filling contained cream cheese had me a little unsure whether I would like it or not.  I like cream cheese and all, but I just wasn't convinced it was a good option for mixing into the filling.  Well, I conquered my skepticism and gave the recipe a try and while it is not like your traditional "crisp", it is very good. The recipe really is more like a light custard pie with a crisp-like topping.  This is another recipe that I adapted from http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/.  I find her recipes to be very dependable on results and taste.

I'm anxiously awaiting spring and seeing the rhubarb in my garden push it's way through it's winter blanket of compost.  I will be coming back to this recipe when I have my first spring rhubarb harvest!




Low Carb Rhubarb Custard Crisp

Ingredients:

Base:

3/4 cup erythritol
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 cups chopped fresh rhubarb  

Topping:

1/3 cup erythritol
1/3 cup crushed almonds
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup vanilla whey protein powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, softened


Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a medium mixing bowl, beat the  sweetener, cream cheese, and eggs until smooth.
Mix in the vanilla and salt.
Fold in the chopped rhubarb.
Pour rhubarb mixture into buttered casserole dish. Bake for 15 minutes.


Meanwhile, combine 1/3 cup sweetener, 1/3 cup crushed nuts, almond flour, whey and cinnamon in a small bowl.
Cut in butter with fork or pastry blender (or your fingers) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.



Sprinkle topping mixture evenly over pie. Return to oven and bake until filling is set and crust and topping are golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.   Serve simply or add a dollop of fresh whipped cream to make it extra special.  Makes 12 servings.


.....and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!
Nutrition Info from MyFitnessPal (does not include whipped cream as photographed)
158 Calories
13 grams Total Fat
9 grams Carbs
6 grams Fiber
2 grams sugar
7 grams protein




2 comments:

  1. What is the carb count for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi, I entered the recipe into My Fitness Pal and added the nutrition info above for your reference. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete