Sunday, May 4, 2014

Ham Salad




























What to fix for my lunch box next week?  I get tired of salads, and can't always guarantee there will be leftovers from supper.  Last Thanksgiving the local grocery was running a special of a free ham with the purchase of a turkey.  Well, I was in the market for a turkey and wasn't going to say no to a free ham!  Meat is so expensive, you just can't look the other way on those deals!  So along with the turkey I took home the free ham and stashed it in the freezer.


Earlier in the week I moved the 6 pound ham to thaw and today is the day to figure out what to do with all that ham.  I used my KitchenAid food processor fitted with the shredder blade to do the heavy lifting for me.  Do you guys have any idea how much shredded ham a 6 pound ham produces?  Holy Moley! I'm glad I have some super-sized crockery bowls!

I used part of the ham to make this tasty ham salad and froze enough shredded ham for another batch.  The rest I mixed up into the ham loaf that I posted previously.

Without further adieu, here's the star of the show!



Ham Salad


Ingredients:


4 cups shredded, cooked ham
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup pickle relish (I used a mix of bread and butter and dill pickles and canned pickle relish to make the full measure)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped

Directions:


Combine all the ingredients and stir until thoroughly blended.  Put into a plastic storage container with a tight fitting lid and refrigerate before serving.


That's pretty simple and a lot of good eating!








......and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment