Sunday, March 5, 2017

Low Carb Meyer Lemon Curd


I adore all things lemon.  I can't get enough of it!

I learned about lemon curd several years ago, and I have been obsessed with it ever since.  It is so versatile.  It can be used as a tart filling, topping for yogurt, a spread for scones, filling for cake layers, you get the idea!  Shoot, I just eat it from the jar with a spoon when I think no one is watching!

Like many home cooks, I joined the Instant Pot craze and purchased my Instant Pot as a Black Friday special last year.  It is a great appliance and I have made several batches of yogurt as well as lemon curd in it.

Last weekend I was at my local Costco and bought this bag of lovely Meyer Lemons.  I had never had Meyer Lemons and now I know what all the excitement is around these lovely lemons is all about.  They are a lemon and mandarin orange mix.  They are sweeter than regular lemons and have a smoother skin.    Regardless of their pedigree, I have a bag of these beauties so there will be more lemon recipes coming from my kitchen!

You can always make this recipe in a traditional manner, rather than low carb by using granulated sugar instead of erythritol.  Of course you can still use regular lemons for this recipe as well, but if you can find the Meyer Lemons, it will be extra special and I guarantee you will enjoy the results.



Low Carb Instant Pot Meyer Lemon Curd


Ingredients:


6 Tbs. butter, room temperature (use the real stuff)
1 cup erythritol
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2/3 cup Meyer Lemon Juice (this was 2 Meyer lemons for me)
1 1/2 Tablespoons Meyer Lemon Zest (all zest form same 2 lemons)

Directions:


Before starting to assemble the base ingredients, zest the two Meyer Lemons and juice them and strain the juice.



In the bowl of a food processor, mix the butter and erythritol until fluffy.


Add the egg yolks and continue to mix until fully incorporated.  Add the remaining eggs one at a time, blending thoroughly after each addition.  Open the bowl, scrape down the sides and blend for an additional minute.


Add the lemon juice and blend another minute or two.  The mixture will look curdled, but don't worry.  It will be fine after it cooks.


Put the wire rack in the bottom of the Instant Pot and add 1 1/2 cups water.

Pour the lemon mixture into a round ceramic dish that will fit inside of the instant pot.  I used a souffle dish that I have that fits perfectly.

Put the lid on the Instant Pot and lock it into place.  Close the pressure valve.
Using the manual setting, adjust to 10 minutes on high heat.
After it is finished cooking, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, open the valve to release any remaining pressure.  Remove the lid and with hot pads, remove the rack and dish of lemon curd from the Instant Pot.


Sprinkle the lemon zest over the top of the mixture and then whisk it in until well blended and smooth.




Ladle into pint mason jars and let cool to room temperature.  Refrigerate overnight.
Curd can also be frozen but honestly it never last long enough at my house to freeze!


,,,,and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!










1 comment:

  1. Oh Cathy, this sounds so GOOD! I love all things lemon too, and would like to try this recipe. I don't have an InstaPot, so what can I do instead? Thanks for sharing this mouth watering recipe!
    Marsha Pruett Grafton

    ReplyDelete