Thursday, March 1, 2012

Breakfast Bake

I made a frittata last week and it was so good, I decided to make a similar version to pack for my breakfasts this week.  It is a good breakfast  dish or can be used for lunch or dinner, just add a tossed salad as a side.   
Substitute fresh vegetables to your liking.  I used what I had on hand.  Onions and bell peppers and carrots are  staples in my veggie drawer in the fridge so mixing this up is super quick and easy.
You can also change up the meat(s) in this recipe to fit your family's tastes as well. 
 I made sausage earlier this spring and have it in handy 1 pound packages in the freezer.  I also had some bacon remaining from another recipe so I chopped it up, cooked it until crispy and added it to the mixture. 

If you are not a meat eater, you can leave out the meat, add some chopped, sauted portabella mushrooms instead or just use more fresh veggies.  You can truly  "have it your way".  

Breakfast Bake
 Yield:  8 Servings
Ingredients:

1 pound sausage (breakfast, italian, turkey - you decide)
8 oz. bacon, diced and cooked
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
1/2 medium red onion, diced
1/2 sweet vidalia onion, diced
1 cup shredded carrots
12 eggs, beaten, or equivalent egg substitute (I used the substitute)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (again, use what you like or have on hand)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spray a casserole dish with non stick spray.  This fit nicely in my "hand me down" pyrex dish that had been my mom's.  It measures 7 1/2 x 12 inches.
  3. Preheat 12" skillet over medium heat, add the sausage, cook until brown and crumbly.  Remove sausage with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
  4. Add the chopped bacon to the pan and cook until crispy.  Remove the bacon pieces with a slotted spoon and drain on paper toweling.
  5. Chop the bell peppers and onions and shred the carrots (hint - buy the carrots already shredded, it is easier and saves your knuckles).
  6. Place the meat in the greased casserole.
  7. Layer on the vegetables.
  8. Beat and pour the eggs over the top.  Sprinkle with black pepper.
  9. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.
  10. Give everything a quick stir to evenly distribute the ingredients.
  11. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-60 minutes until set in the center.



No comments:

Post a Comment