Sunday, March 25, 2012

Grapefruit Balsamic Glazed Chicken Breasts

I made a huge purchase of pink grapefruit and I've been searching for ways to use them up! (What was I thinking?!?!?)

I love grapefruit and the bag was a good buy, but honestly, I've shared and shared and I still have plenty!  These guys take up so much space in the veggie drawer.  In effort to reduce the stash,  I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how use them  besides eating them for breakfast, juicing them and making sorbet (not that those are bad options).

Ah ha!  An idea blooms....after all it is spring and the weather here has been unseasonably warm and what goes with warm weather?  Of course, cookouts!   A quick trip through the local Price Chopper for some chicken breasts and a jalapeno pepper and oh, a freshly filled backup tank of propane and I was soon back home putting on my apron and firing up the Weber.

I gathered ingredients from the fridge and cabinets, totally flying by the seat of my pants and completely unsure of the end result.  I have to say I was pleased with the result and plan on fixing this recipe again soon.  Many of the items included in the recipe came from The Olive Tree. 

Grapefruit Balsamic Glazed Chicken Breast
Serves 2

Ingredients:

2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons of Butter Extra Virgin Olive Oil  
1 teaspoon of Smoked Bacon Chipotle Salt  
2 ruby red or pink grapefruits
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar (or more to suite your taste preference)
1 Tablespoon Grapefruit Balsamic Vinegar
1 teaspoon finely minced jalapeno (seeds and membranes removed)

Directions:
Prepare the chicken breasts for grilling by coating them well on both sides with the Butter Olive Oil.
Season the chicken breasts on both sides with the Smoked Bacon Chipotle Salt.
Set the chicken  aside while you prepare the glaze.

Halve and section one of the grapefruits, removing all the seeds.  Place sections in a medium saucepan.
Squeeze any remaining juice from the grapefruit into the saucepan.
Halve and squeeze the juice from the second grapefruit, removing any seeds, into the saucepan.

Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar to the grapefruit. Taste and adjust sugar if necessary.
Add the jalapeno pepper and bring the mixture to a rolling boil.  Stir occasionally to prevent any sticking.
Boil the mixture until it reduces by half.
When the mixture is reduced, stir in the Grapefruit Balsamic Vinegar and mix thoroughly.
Boil another 5 minutes and remove from heat.

Grill the chicken breasts.  After the initial chicken flip, baste the cooked side of the chicken breast with the grapefruit balsamic reduction.  When chicken has cooked completely, flip again and brush he unglazed side of the chicken with the sauce.
(I know, I know.... you aren't supposed to flip meat more than once while grilling, but I did flip these a couple more times to get a nice glaze on them.    
Remove from the grill and serve.

To accompany the chicken, I grilled  asparagus spears  seasoned with sea salt, cracked black peppercorns and a little drizzle of the Butter Olive Oil. I put them on the grill when the chicken was nearly done.  Give the pan a shake a time or two during the cooking so the spears cook evenly.


Once plated, I topped it with a grating of fresh Parmesan cheese and a few pignoli (pine nuts).


...and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment