Monday, March 5, 2012

Chocolate Pie with Coconut Crust

Do you like Mounds candy bars?  If so, you will love this Martha Stewart recipe.  It is so decadent and simple to make with only 4 ingredients.  Well in my case 5 (I just can't help myself, I have to tinker with the recipe)!
You just might possibly have all the ingredients in your pantry right now!  So what are you waiting for?  Tie on your apron and let's get busy!


Chocolate Pie with Coconut Crust


Crust:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 14 oz. bag of sweetened shredded coconut


Filling:
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 61% cacao), finely chopped


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Pour the bag of coconut into a mixing bowl.




Mix in the softened butter with your fingers.  My butter was cold from the fridge, so I microwaved it for about 30 seconds to soften it. Continue to mix until the butter is evenly distributed throughout the coconut.  It should still be fluffy.
Next place your 9-inch pie plate on a baking sheet (you will need to catch stray coconut).



Place the coconut-butter mixture into the pie pan.  Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides to form the crust.  Be sure to leave the top edges loose and fluffy.  Place a foil ring over the edges to prevent burning.
Bake until the center begins to brown.  This should take 10 to 15 minutes.  Keep a close eye on it because you don't want it to burn.  Remove the foil and continue to bake until the edges are browned, 4 to 6 minutes.  Depending on your oven, you may need to rotate the cookie sheet so the crust edges brown evenly.
When nicely browned, remove from the oven to a wire rack and cool completely.


While the crust is cooling, finely chop the chocolate and place in medium sized heat proof bowl.
Bring the cream just to a boil in a small saucepan; pour over the chocolate.  You may have noticed that I used more cream.  I did that because I had just wee bit more chocolate than 8 oz. so I was keeping a balance in my measurements.


Let the mixture sit 10 minutes, then stir until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is thoroughly combined.  Initially you will think that it is a mess, but keep stirring, it will turn smooth and silky in mere minutes.




Pour the mixture into the cooled coconut crust.



Refrigerate until the filling is set.

Sometimes you feel like a nut.....and today I added toasted sliced almonds to the top of the pie before I put it in the fridge.



Oh, and do make sure you have room in the fridge for the pie in advance. 
Fortunately my refrigerator has a hideaway shelf that accommodates my pie plate perfectly!


Now the hard part.....waiting for it to chill so I can have a slice!


This is not a lightweight dessert.  A small slice (1/10th of the pie) is 398 calories!



 ...and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment