Monday, December 9, 2013

Low Carb Snickerdoodle Cookies

In effort to support my change in eating habits and at the same time satisfy my love for the occasional sweet treat, namely cookies, I've been trying out different recipes.  While most are okay, these are more than just okay.  This may become my go-to cookie recipe.

I found the recipe on food.com and it had 5 stars and the reviews were good so I decided to give it a trial run.  While I didn't get the 30 cookies out of the recipe it touted as the yield, I did get 20.  These little guys look like little donut holes.  They didn't crack and flatten out like my traditional recipe, but they were light and very tasty.

So if you are watching your carbs, diabetic or just want to lighten up but not sacrifice sweet treats over the holidays, these little gems are just the ticket.  Each cookie has 93 calories, 1 net carb, 2 grams of protein and 9 grams of fat.  So leave these for your Santa and he will appreciate your help on a night when he has a lot of cookies to eat!







Low Carb Snickerdoodle Cookies

Yield:  20 cookies

Ingredients:


1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 Tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:


In a mixing bowl, beat butter and Splenda with an electric mixer on medium high speed until smooth.
Add the egg, vanilla, baking soda, and cream of tarter and beat until fluffy.
Beat in about half of the almond flour and mix well.
Mix in the remainder of the flour until thoroughly combined.
Cover the mixture and chill for at least an hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Mix 2 Tablespoons of Splenda with 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I actually used a bit more cinnamon, maybe another 1/2 tsp.)
Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and roll the balls in the Splenda-cinnamon mixtures.

Place the balls 2 inches apart on the parchment lined baking pans.


Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10 to 12 minutes. (I baked mine for 15 minutes)

Don't you think these look like donut holes?


....and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. I made these for Christmas --- they flattened out like a cookie instead of a donut. I agree with you that I would add more cinnamon to roll them in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm confused about the batter mentioned in the directions. Did you mean "butter"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies, yes, it should have said butter and it should also have included the Splenda, which you mentioned as well. I have made those corrections. Thank you for letting me know of the errors.

      Delete
  3. What do we do with the 1 cup of Splenda? It doesn't say so in the directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and Splenda with an electric mixer on medium high speed until smooth.

      Delete
  4. Very creative! I'm glad that you have shared your version of snickerdoodle cookies. The fact that it is low-carb makes it more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never mind I see the carb count now. 🙃

    ReplyDelete
  6. High in calories.Must be the Almond flour,butter. I wonder if aftertaste using Splenda? I don't like it as reg sweetener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Low Carb does not equate to Low Calorie, like many things, you still need to enjoy with moderation. If you don't like Splenda there are other sweetness you could use. Sorry this isn't something you think you'd enjoy, but we all have different likes and dislikes and I personally don't see the need to editorialize in a comment about yours. Have a great day.

      Delete