Sunday, December 13, 2015

Cinnamon Sugared Pecans



I can't remember a Christmas that I didn't make these.  I have such a hard time staying out of them; the sweet crunch is like a magnet, pulling me to the bowl every time I'm in the kitchen!

I don't have a story or specific memory to go along with this recipe, they have simply been a part of my Christmas baking for a long time.  They have been enjoyed by many and the recipe has been shared numerous times.  They are great to take to work for a holiday celebration.  They would also make a great hostess gift for all of those holiday gatherings.  And let's not forget our co-workers or employees, they will appreciate your thoughtfulness!

As I mentioned in my earlier post for Sugar Cookies, this recipe is perfect for using those leftover egg  whites you have after you make cookies!  

I get the 2 pound bags of pecans from Costco, if you want to make a smaller quantity, just divide the recipe in half and you'll be all set.  Trust me though, with all the nibbling and gifting, you'll need to make all 2 pounds!  

Have a Holly Jolly and Nutty Christmas!


Cinnamon Sugared Pecans



Ingredients:


1 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1  teaspoons salt
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 pounds pecan halves

Directions:


Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.  Line two large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, add the egg whites and beat with a wire whisk until frothy.  Add the water, vanilla extract and salt.  Continue to beat until well blended.



Add the pecans to the mixture and stir until all pecans are well coated with the egg white mixture.  Add the sugar and cinnamon and mix well until all the pecans are evenly coated.

Divide the pecans onto the two cookie sheets.



Bake for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  Mixture  coating pecans should be dry and all the liquid should be gone.  I had to bake mine an extra 15 minutes, so do what you need to for your oven.

When done, remove from the oven to cool.  They will crisp up as they cool, so don't be worried if they are a little chewy right out of the oven, give them time to cool and they will be fine.  Once cool, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks....but I bet they don't last that long!

....and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment